Koss Law Offices
Hugh Richard Koss, Esq.
Three-plus decades (1986-2019):
- Complex personal injury and wrongful death, business/commercial/consumer, product liability and aviation matters.
- Litigation practice through trial and appeals, both state and federal.
- Business/commercial, regulatory and risk avoidance counseling.
- Mediation, arbitration and negotiated resolutions.
- Domestic and international clients and representations.
- Aviation, automotive, shipping, construction, building materials (including asbestos and silica), tooling and food manufacturing industry representations.
- Nixon Peabody LLP, San Francisco, CA, Equity Partner, 2001-2009
- Lillick & Charles LLP, San Francisco, CA, Equity Partner, 1994-2001
- Lillick & Charles LLP, San Francisco, CA, Associate, 1986-1994
Significant Matters and Seminal Court Decisions
- Jane Doe v. Twitter, Inc., San Francisco County, California Superior Court (2016) -- Consumer online privacy class action litigation.
- Hall v. Phenix Investigations, Inc., United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2016) -- Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act litigation.
- Turbomeca, S.A. v. ERA Helicopters LLC, 536 F.3d 351 (5th Cir. 2008) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- Watson v. Societe Nationale Industrielle Aerospatiale, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2007) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- Rodriguez v. American Eurocopter Corporation, 2006 WL 8451319 (S.D.Tex. 2006) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- First National Bank & Trust Corporation v. American Eurocopter Corporation, 378 F.3d 682 (7th Cir. 2004) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- Marcot v. Continental Airlines, Inc., United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas (2001) -- Concorde airplane accident litigation.
- Denver v. Imperial Eastman Corporation, Monterey County, California Superior Court (2000) -- Airplane accident litigation.
- In re Aircrash Near Roselawn, Indiana, 96 F.3d 932 (7th Cir. 1996) -- Transport category airplane accident multidistrict litigation.
- In re Aircrash Near Roselawn, Indiana, 909 F.Supp. 1083 (N.D. Ill. 1995) -- Transport category airplane accident multidistrict litigation.
- Brinkley v. American Eurocopter Corporation, Tarrant County, Texas District Court (1996) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- Sheppard v. Société Nationale Industrielle Aerospatiale, 165 F.R.D. 449 (E.D. Pa. 1996) -- Airplane accident litigation.
- Gould v. Société Nationale Industrielle Aerospatiale, 40 F.3d 1033 (9th Cir. 1994) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- Lucas v. Natoli, 936 F.2d 432 (9th Cir. 1991) -- Helicopter accident litigation.
- Supreme Court of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern districts of California
- Pro hac vice admissions:
Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Middle and Southern districts of Florida
Northern and Southern districts of Texas
Northern District of Georgia
Northern District of Illinois
Southern districts of Indiana and New York
Western districts of Louisiana and Missouri
Middle District of North Carolina
Eastern districts of Pennsylvania and Washington
Districts of Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon and Wyoming
- American Bar Association
American Bar Association (The Brief -- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice)
Practicing Law Institute
Product Liability Law 360 Series
Risk and Insurance Management Society Series
Southern Methodist University Air Law Symposium
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D. (1986); Hastings International and Comparative Law Review
- University of California San Diego, B.A., Economics with honors (1983); sub-concentration in Spanish Literature